Vandalism protection in the elevator: ongoing monitoring
Detection of vandalism
Vandalism in elevators causes damage running into the millions every year. If the mania for destruction is directed against elevator components, this can not only result in a hazard, but also render the system unusable. The repair of the damage is usually not covered in the maintenance contract and must be borne by the elevator operator himself.
The elevator laws oblige operators to monitor the operationally safe condition of the elevator system by means of operational controls. While such an operational control only takes place at certain points in time, the VIEW system ensures that it is complete and permanent Securityin the cabin, 24/7.
The VIEW emergency call system helps in three ways to promote protection against vandalism in the elevator
VIEW Sense (TM) automatically monitors and detects changes in the equipment of the elevator car. By comparing the depth data as well as the color and brightness values, the optional VIEW Sense (TM) detects unwanted and potentially safety-critical changes and alerts the emergency call center. Rapid countermeasures reduce the impact of the “broken windows effect”, which leads to visible signs of vandalism promoting further destruction.
Effects of vandalism detected by VIEW Sense:
- The surfaces in the cabin and on the doors are scratched or destroyed
- Pollution in the cabin (waste disposal, dog droppings, urine …)
- Graffiti in the cabin or the doors
- Destruction and theft of lighting and light sources
- Damage and removal of signs
- Damage to operating and display elements due to the application of force
- Damage to operating and display elements due to the effects of heat
- Removal of handrails